[OT] hardware SATA raid which is 32-bit PCI compatible?

Mark Lane mark at harddata.com
Fri May 14 15:23:15 UTC 2004

On May 14, 2004 08:29 am, Joel Jaeggli <joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, 14 May 2004, Jurgen Kramer wrote:
> > I have looked at 3ware (now AMCC it seems) but I am not sure if there is
> > proper (open-source) support for this 8506 yet.
>
> the 3ware driver from the 7506 and 8506 are the same. the sata version has
> pata-sata bridges in front of each port.

No not really. Both devices are seen by the system as a SCSI devices. That's
why the driver can be the same. The PATA/SATA stuff is handled by the card
and the system doesn't deal with it.

Mark Lane, CET mailto:mark at harddata.com
Hard Data Ltd. http://www.harddata.com
T: 01-780-456-9771   F: 01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue Edmonton, AB, Canada, T5X 1Y3
--> Ask me about our Excellent 1U Systems! <--