system users with dot in the name

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Fri May 14 17:07:22 UTC 2004

Does it work if you double quote the user name.

The POSIX standard allows dot characters in usernames if I remember
correctly.

At one time I had written a patch and sent it to RH to comply with the
dot in
usernames. I believe my reasoning was the POSIX standard.

I believe fileutils is now part of coreutils, I will look to see what
may be involved in
writing a new patch.