Nforce2 chipset

Randy Kelsoe randykel at swbell.net
Fri May 14 18:00:11 UTC 2004

Hesty P wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I'm planning to upgrade my computer and installing FC2
>on it. Is there any pitfall with NForce 2 chipset that
>I should be aware of? I recall some problem with the
>onboard LAN with the nvnet driver. Is that resolved
>now?
>
>I'm also planning to get Radeon 9200/9600 video card.
>Any problem that I should be aware of?

Running the Gigabyte GA 7N400 Pro2 for the last 6 months with no
problems. This mobo uses a RealTek 8169 Gbit lan, and not the nforce
NIC, so I  did not need to use the close-sourced drivers from Nvidia.
The Nvidia driver for the sound chip actually worked worse than the
standard intel8x0 driver that the installed configured.

I also have the Radeon 9200, and it works well for 2D, and just fair for
3D with the XFree86 drivers.