DEC Ethernet card not working

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sat May 15 09:09:33 UTC 2004

Richard McGrath wrote:
> When I try to run the command 'ifup eth0', I get:
>
> Tulip device eth0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization.
>
> On the GUI network config tool, on the hardware tab, I can see the
> adapter.  I double click on this and get a dialog box that has, in the
> Adapter drop down box (which is disabled):
> DECchip 21041 [Tulip pass 3]

There are about five drivers in the 2.6 family for Tulip cards, and not
all of them are available in the Fedora kernel builds. I think the
situation is the same in 2.4.

Judging by the notes in the kernel configurator, you might do better
with the de4x5 or the de2104x driver (which Fedora doesn't seem to
build by default).

You can change the driver in /etc/modules.conf (for 2.4) or
/etc/modprobe.conf (for 2.6): where it says
alias eth0 tulip
change that to
alias eth0 de4x5

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james@ | 'In a serial interface, the data bits move down a
westexe.demon.co.uk    | single channel one after the other, like railway