how to change the port vnc is running?

Chris Kloiber ckloiber at ckloiber.com
Sun May 16 10:37:24 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-15 at 00:58, Gustavo Rahal wrote:
> Hi
>
> How to change the port vncserver is running? Actually, I don't know if
> the port change is something to do with X or vnc.
> The situation is that I want to access my PC that is inside a home
> network (there is a server doing NAT with iptables). I already have
> access to the server from outside but I would like to access my computer
> (ip 192.168.....) so I imagine that I would have to do a port forward to
> my PC, is that right? Since the server is already running vncserver I
> have to forward different ports...
>
> Appreciate any help
>
> Gustavo

I do something similar at my parents house. I have a linux
firewall/gateway machine set up to protect both my parents Windows XP
systems (sorry, can't convert them now) and I have things arranged such
that I can run VNC over SSH to the gateway, then run vncviewer on the
gateway and view my parents desktops. This works out very well if you
run a 1280x1024 desktop, and the windows boxes happen to be at 1024x768.
Make the VNC desktop size on the gateway 1152x864 and you get Windows in
a window on your desktop. Neat and reasonably fast on a cable modem
connection.

--
Chris Kloiber