Headless dedicated server running FC1, how do I get FC2?

Bill Williamson batkiwi at happychinchilla.com
Mon May 17 02:37:55 UTC 2004

Matthew Miller wrote:
> I dunno why you think this is a "crappy thing", given that it's never worked
> before. (For some definition of work, that is. In any case, it certainly
> does't work *less* than it did before.)

I used up2date tricks to go from RH8 to RH9 (replaced redhat-release,
ran up2date, boom upgraded) and from RH9 to FC1 simply by downloading
the apt-get FC1 RPM from fedora.us, installying it, and apt-get update
&& apt-get dist-upgrade.

I'm not running anything crazy (UML/SELinux/not even X), it's just a
small server for friends and family.  I'd assumed by how well it worked
in the past that it was supported (I'd read about the procedure on a
forum).  Was what I did before no more dangerous than doing so now?  The
biggest change I'd have to worry about if doing it "by hand" would be
the upgrade to 2.6 I'd guess.

> Anyway, I wouldn't want to be stuck in this situation with *any*
> distribution.

It's a small server for friends and family.  If it were anything serious
I'd be on RHEL in a "proper" COLO anyways :)  I just know i'm not the
only one in this situation, as these cheap dedicated providers have been
springing up everywhere!