{please}Re: basic list mail content: {[FC1] or [FC2] or [FC?]}

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Mon May 17 02:53:04 UTC 2004

It would appear that on May 16, Davy Brion did say:

> On Sun, 2004-05-16 at 18:27, Coume - Lubox.com wrote:
> > Yep, why not try the [FC1] or [FC2] at the beginning of the subject line?
>
> sounds like a good idea... i just hope people won't start complaining
> when posters don't use this, like with thread-hijacking... as annoying
> as that is, all the discussions about it are even worse (allthough
> thankfully, it's become less of a problem recently)

{please}Re: basic list mail content: {[FC1] or [FC2] or [FC?]}

{please DON'T} Re: [FC1] or [FC2] or [FC?] basic list mail content:

That is, *IF* this is done, PLEASE append the [FCx] marker.
Please DON'T prepend it.

"sounds like" and "is" are often two different things. This very idea
was debated in the "Taming the mailing lists?" thread. Only there the
suggestion was to help those who don't use software to automatically
filter their fedora list messages into a separate folder by prepending
the subject with [FC]...

I wasn't particularly in favor of the idea. But _MY_ main objection
stemmed from the difference between prepending to the beginning of the
rest of the subject line and appending to the end of it. Other
objections were made however. And it won't work well unless EVERYONE
does it EVERYTIME...

I think my reasoning is just as valid here.  But 1st a new example taken
from the subject line of the message this is a reply to:

> Subject: Re: [FC1] Re: basic list mail content: FC1 or FC2
___________^^^^^^^^^^^^^____________________________________

The prepend is already getting kinda long isn't it????

      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Where "x" in "[FCx]" is the core release number:

Some of us would find the [FCx] in the subject to be a pain. I use
filtering to group all the "FC" messages to the same folder, Then I
visually scan the displayed portion of the subject to determine if the
thread/subject is worth reading...

This is basically what I see in pines threaded mode index view. except
that "->" is my quote mark, "##" is the message number, "mmm dd" is a date,
"Sender Identification" & "(size)" are self explanatory ;)

-> N  ## mmm dd Sender Identification(size) Original long description of prob
-> N  ## mmm dd Sender Identification(size) |-Re:Original long description of
-> N  ## mmm dd Sender Identification(size)   |-Re:Original long description
-> N  ## mmm dd Sender Identification(size)     |-Re:Original long descriptio
-> N  ## mmm dd Sender Identification(size)     |-Newbie hijacked thread inter
-> N  ## mmm dd Sender Identification(size)       |-Re:Newbie hijacked thread
-> N  ## mmm dd Sender Identification(size)     |-reply "New subject" Not inte
-> N  ## mmm dd Sender Identification(size)       |-RE:reply "New subject" Not
-> N  ## mmm dd Sender Identification(size)         |-interesting "modified su

As you can see when compared to the two non-truncated subject line
example sections below The left hand side of the subject is where the
snap judgment call of "do I open this one or not?" has to be made...

On the other hand I'd have no objection to [FCx] being appended to the
END of the subject: