Did something stupid!! help!!

Kwan Lowe kwan at digitalhermit.com
Mon May 17 03:54:03 UTC 2004

> Wel I've done somthing stpid, and a I don't know how I can solve the
> problem again.
> I had som toubles with RPM, so me and my stupid head thought, why not
> reïnstall the package. So I removed the package, but didn't thought
> about the fact that I couldn't use the RPM-command anymore.
> Is there any way, how I can get RPM back on the machine? So I can work
> with packages again. Somebody told me to use something like rpm2tgz or
> somthing like that.
> If there is anyone who can help me with this stupid problem of me, that
> would be great!!!

You have a few options:
Grab the rpm package then extract it with:
  rpm2cpio | cpio -ivd

This will create a directory hierarchy containing all the files. Just
move the binaries to the same place in the real /usr (or extract it at
the root filesystem if you're daring).

You can also boot with a rescue disk then reinstall with the --root
option. For example, if you mount your real disk under /mnt/sysimage,
you can do:

  rpm --root=/mnt/sysimage -iv rpm.xxxx.rpm