Problems with Fedora PHP and Apache

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Mon May 17 14:39:20 UTC 2004

Well, since the OP hasn't provided any more info, might as well continue
this discussion...

John Nichel said:
> William Hooper wrote:
>> John Nichel said:
>> [snip]
>>
>>><gripe>
>>>Install from source, not RPM's.
>>

>> Why?
>
> Custom configuration.  And such things as MySQL (the php-mysql rpm is
> compiled against the 3.x libraries), but since I use 4.x, I would rather
> compile with that.

So, based on your needs, your blanket recommendation is that everyone
should install Apache and PHP from source?  Many people are using the
provided RPMs just fine.

>>>Read the PHP recomendation about NOT
>>>using Apache2 and PHP together.
>>></gripe>
>>

>> I defer to Joe Orton's response.
>>
>> http://www.redhat.com/archives/taroon-list/2004-May/msg00188.html
>>

> I like how Joe calls it FUD by _some_ members of the PHP community.  How
> about THE member of the PHP community?  I defer to just one of the many
> Ramsus Lerdorf responses....
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=php-general&m=107920318223044&w=2

So this is to say that php.net mirror servers are not
"production-quality"?  I can understand the PHP developers suggesting
Apache1 over Apache2, but to the extent they go it is (as Joe pointed out)
FUD.

--
William Hooper