Opinion: NVIDIA drivers are a Good Thing [tm]

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Mon May 17 16:27:57 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 10:23 -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> them to open-source their code. I am willing to buy those arguments as
> being reasonable; so while I would *prefer* open-source and RPM, I can
> *accept* closed-source and custom installer.

If you're ready to accept a bad solution you'll hardly ever get the good
one, and in this case never since it is near to impossible (for
technical reasons) to have good and/or complete Free Software drivers
for NVIDIA cards at the moment.

> After all, the end result is more hardware that can be used optimally under
> Linux, easier adoption of Linux by more people, and an easier computing
> experience for me. Conclusion? Two thumbs up!

Free but shackled. Your option, and I advise against recommending it.

Rui