fc2 or not, that is the question...

Mike Bartman omni at omniphile.com
Tue May 18 00:46:01 UTC 2004

At 04:51 PM 5/17/04 -0400, duncan brown wrote:

>Mike Bartman said:
>> At 12:09 PM 5/15/04 -0700, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
>>
>>>production environments, hell my employer still runs openvms. some
>>> people  what everything to be new and fresh and wonderful all of the
>>> time, some  people want stuff to never change.
>>
>> Ummm...OpenVMS isn't old...it's still being actively maintained and
>> developed.  HP owns it these days...second largest computer company on
>
>ummmm... you're kidding, right?  i've supported vms machines that were
>just about as old as i am (28).  vms is mad old, brotha!

"Old" implies that it hasn't changed in a long time.  At least, that's how
I read it in context in the message I was replying to.  That isn't the case
with OpenVMS...it's been continuing development with steady releases, and
this is continuing, as the recent port to the Itanium indicates.  OpenVMS
8.0 is very new...even newer than FC1.

If you mean "has it been around a long time as an OS", then yes, it has.
I've been working with it almost daily since 1981 (v3.2 on an 11/780).  It
was first created about 1978 I believe, when the VAX was introduced.

>windows is just a baby, so's linux.

Very true.  Unix is older though, by a few years.

I'm going to quit there...the "Old Farts" thread was last week...  :-)

-- Mike Bartman

"The national budget must be balanced.  The public debt must be reduced;
the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled.
Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want
to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on
public assistance."

                             -- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 B.C.