ISP and SMTP Authentication

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue May 18 10:56:39 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 18.05.2004 schrieb Jeff Allison um 12:24:

> > Mostly not. Because home users seldom have a resolvable domain name with
> > their home (DSL, modem or whatever) connection. So using the own MTA to
> > deliver directly will cause many mails fail because most MX hosts reject
> > mails coming from unresolvable hosts and/or from dial-up IP ranges.
> > Using the ISP's SMTP server as smart host is a very common setup.
> >
> > Alexander
>
> Well said, but any idea how to do it..

Sorry Jeff, I do not understand which information you request. How to do
what? Using the ISP's SMTP server as smart host? That I did explain in
my yesterday's reply to David's original posting.

What information are you missing?

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl
Sirendipity 12:54:39 up 5 days, 10:39, load average: 0.35, 0.28, 0.20
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]