CUPS driver for Windows?

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at web.de
Tue May 18 10:56:35 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 18.05.2004 schrieb Chris Kloiber um 10:23:
> On Tue, 2004-05-18 at 12:45, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> > Hello, everyone:

[snipped]

> > Can anyone tell me where to find the appropriate CUPS Driver for Windows to
> > install on FC1? While we're at it, will that driver be OK for FC2? And is
> > there a reason I can't see why that driver isn't in an RPM package
> > somewhere and available easily?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > [1] http://www.cups.org/windows.php#download
>
> Since it's a Windows system you are trying to connect, it's the Windows
> printer driver that needs to be sent to the client. It's like making the
> manufacturer's install CD available to the Windows system. I have never
> done it myself, but I know it's possible.

In fact it's pretty easy: Just throw the (windoze) printer drivers from
the install CD into /var/lib/samba/printers... Works like a charm!

/etc/samba/smb.conf
[...]
#======================= Share Definitions =======================
[...]
# Windows clients look for this share name as a source of downloadable
# printer drivers
[print$]
   comment = Printer Drivers
   path = /var/lib/samba/printers
   browseable = yes
   read only = yes
   guest ok = no
# Uncomment to allow remote administration of Windows print drivers.
# Replace 'ntadmin' with the name of the group your admin users are
# members of.
;   write list = root, @ntadmin

(with the above statement you can remotely add new drivers via
"additional printer drivers" in windoze. (IIRC available on W2k and
above).

Christoph