basic list mail content: FC1 or FC2

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Tue May 18 14:00:22 UTC 2004

It would appear that on May 18, Dexter Ang did say:

> James Kosin wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > 3)  Heaven forbid, create separate list for FC1 after this date for
> > those that use the older version.
> > ~   This way this list always contains the latest FC release questions,
> > and refer people to another list for FC1 if they ask.  Problem is that
> > then things get confusing still about FC1 or FC2 and people not
> > knowing... when looking in the archives.
>
> Maybe it would be better to create new lists as "fedora-1-list" and
> "fedora-2-list". This way seems quite future-proof (basically
> fedora-#-list). At the same time, fedora-list archives remain as FC1
> only/mostly. Then maybe fedora-list should be closed, or, possibly
> link/forward fedora-list to the new fedora-1-list. I've never set up a
> mailing list, so I have no idea if this would work, and if this is even
> a good idea.

GAWD Nooooooooooooo!

This too was discussed near to death in the "Taming the mailing lists"
thread...

The way I see it, biggest problem is that MANY _stable_ core issues will
NOT be specific to a particular release. and if the guy who remembers the
solution for FC1 has moved on to FC2... people frequently won't know
which list to ask on, and so will probably post to both lists.

With the fast life cycle planned for fedora FC1 will be a fedora-legacy-list
topic soon enough ;)

Speaking for myself, I don't want to have to re-edit all my list filters
every 6 months or so (not to mention changing which lists I'm subscribed
to) just to keep up with what ever is happening with the currently supported
stable core releases. Even putting up with in subject "[FCx]" tags would
be better than that.

The way it is, people can expect me to be at least lurking on
"fedora-list at redhat.com" on a fairly regular basis... OH now I get it!
You KNEW that, all this talk about separating the list into short lived,
only _ONE_ core release per list, segments is just a smoke screen to find
a way to shake off my mouth...

	<chuckle>

OK paranoid humor aside, please don't break up the most stable thing
there is about stable core releases. the x in FCx will be changing so
often for anyone trying to stay with the current fedora, that having a
stable mailing list name to identify with will mean something to some of
us. We who let yum or apt update most all our software. And who will
upgrade at least one linux partition to the next Fedora every 6 months or
so, don't need to have to keep reconfiguring our mail filters, and
subscription lists too... Those who lock in on a particular release
and who don't want to change it until they *have* to will at least have
the stability of their chosen core. And would only have to transition
their mailing lists & filters once ( when their core becomes legacy.)

In short: please don't fsck up my fedora-list at redhat.com, thank you very
much...

- --
|				      ---   ---
|     Joe (theWordy) Philbrook	      <o>   <o>
|	   J(tWdy)P			  ^
|	<<jtwdyp at ttlc.net>>		/---\	"bla bla bla..."

   At least I know my mouth is running, I just can't find the off button!

   # You can find my public gpg key at http://members.ttlc.net/~jtwdyp #