Opinion: NVIDIA drivers are a Good Thing [tm]

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Tue May 18 14:08:36 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-18 at 14:00 +0000, Richard Allen wrote:
> On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 08:45:05PM +0100, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
>
> > So I am forced to agree with something even before I download it and try
> > it. No Free Software license will force you to agree with something
> > before trying it out.
>
> Well..   Ever since firstboot came along, I'm forced to accept the terms
> of the GPL (which I love, respect and admire) before ever getting
> a login prompt.

No! No, you don't.

With the GNU GPL the author gives you an unilateral license to run the
software for any purpose.

Unilateral means you don't have to agree with anything.

The restrictions are on redistribution... and yet, you still don't have
to agree with anything.

You're unilaterally allowed to redistribute in the specified conditions,
no more and no less. If you don't follow the conditions, you're
violating the author's copyright license.

Rui