Fedora Core 2 LVM & DM Woes

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Tue May 18 19:22:21 UTC 2004

On May 18, 2004, "William R. Lorenz" <wrl at express.org> wrote:

> I'll have
> custom device-mapper kernel RPMs that were tested to work well

Erhm...  It seems to work sort-of well enough for me, but I haven't
done snapshots for quite a while.  What I miss the most is pvmove,
that is severely broken ;-(  I guess I'll keep on using LVM1 on-disk
format and keep a FC1 rescue CD handy for cases in which I need
pvmove :-/

> Even with this, I'm curious as to when the device-mapper snapshot code
> will be integrated back into Fedora's 2.6 kernel tree.

Most likely when it's integrated in the upstream kernel, and probably
only for FC3, unless there's good reason for major kernel updates for
FC2.  LVM support might be it, but I wouldn't count on that.

> It seems to me that the snapshot capabilities of LVM are a pretty
> important thing for those doing any kind of large-capacity volume
> management, and I find it hard to believe it was left to one of the
> last things to tidy up.  Is there hope?

Well, if's Free Software, there's always hope :-)
(as long as you don't end up with proprietary undocumented hardware :-)

> In any case, thanks so much for your help and guidance.  As much as I wish
> that LVM2 had snapshot support out-of-the-box, I do appreciate the great
> job you guys do in working on this stuff, and I thank you for that. :)

/me hands the `thank you' to those who actually make it happen.

I'm just a random Fedora user that happens to have an @redhat.com
e-mail address :-)