trick for editing menu? FC2 - KDE

Joshua Andrews josh at wavefood.com
Tue May 18 19:59:13 UTC 2004

Jonathan Rawle wrote:

>Joshua Andrews wrote:
>

>>I am new to FC but not new to RedHat.
>>
>>I just installed FC2 and found some things missing from the programs
>>menu in KDE, Pan for one.
>>
>>I added it with the menu editor about 10 times and it will not show up,
>>now I look and there is a ~/.local/ full of files pan-x.desktop!  What
>>magic am I missing here?
>>

>Did you retain your settings after upgrading to FC2?
>
>I had lots of problems (couldn't edit the menu, couldn't set file
>associations, some submenus completely missing...) so in the end I deleted
>my .local directory and now everything seems to work.
>
>It took me a while to find .local - I was looking for something in .kde, so
>I did delete a few other things such as .kde/share/config/profilerc - you
>might want to try that too. (Of course, copy the files somewhere else -
>don't delete them until you're sure it works!)
>
>Jonathan

Thanks for the reply,
I did a clean install so there are no old setting conflicting anywhere.
There is something very screwy about the menu, I have yet to figure
exactly where it is getting its configuration since the menu editor has
almost no effect on it. Plus, I really don't like the seperators
"|Actions|", "|All Applications|", etc. and I would like to get rid of
them. There must be an XML file or something somewhere I can manually edit.

Anyway, at this point there are certain to be many more important issues
than appearances but I really really don't like not being able to change
the menu.

Thanks,
Joshua