FC2 & dual boot.. problem still there :(

Chris McD theratpack91 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue May 18 20:25:57 UTC 2004

Cormac Long wrote:
> Folks,
>    I can confirm that the official FC2 does indeed have the same problem
> as previously reported with the test releases.

[snip]

> On the recovery front, I booted from Knoppix as it has native NTFS
> enabled and was able to mount the existing windows NTFS partition.. its
> still there and seems intact.. so I was able to copy off files and FTP
> to another machine etc in prep for a new Windows install.. trouble is
> that I think if I do a clean install of Windows and then a linux rescue
> to restore grub, that the problem will still be there... I'll end up
> unable to boot the XP partition.
>
> So it was a downer!.. and I realise that windows is bad and evil.. but I
> need to to have dual boots and I'm sure that many others out there are
> also in this boat.

I use bootpart: http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm and the xp
bootloader to boot linux and xp.

  If you leave grub in /boot and use bootpart to grab the first 512
bytes of /boot and edit boot.ini on xp (which bootpart does
automatically) you can boot either OS with no problems.

Hope this helps

Chris