FC2/smbfs weirdness

Glen Shadbolt shadbolt at umich.edu
Wed May 19 04:54:33 UTC 2004

I have a samba share on a Mac that I mount using /etc/fstab. Here is the
entry that I used to mount it on FC1.

//host/glen    /mnt/glen     smbfs
credentials=/etc/credentials/glen,uid=500,gid=500 0 0

That worked fine under FC1, but not with FC2. Under FC1 the contents of
the share all showed the correct owner and permissions. Under FC2 the
owner shows up as "games". I checked the uid for my account on the Mac,
and the uid for for the user "games" on my linux box, and sure enough
they both have the same uid (501). So obviously the problem is that FC2
is now using the uid to determine permissions rather than the "owner".

So I know what the problem is. Is there any way to fix this (short of
screwing around with the accounts on my Mac so that the uids match)?

Glen