ntoskrnl.exe

xyzzy at hotpop.com xyzzy at hotpop.com
Wed May 19 08:03:28 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 18 May 2004 15:38, Peter Boy wrote:
> Am Di, den 18.05.2004 schrieb xyzzy at hotpop.com um 13:34:
> > > Seems to be a known, but yet unresolved problem.
> >
> > This is seriously bad news.  Why is this being released if it destroys
> > the ability to dual-boot??  This is a show-stopper and must be fixed
> > before being released.
>
> Has been discussed in the afore mentioned thread very extensively. Fact
> is that the problem is bound to a special, but not exactly known
> combination of hardware. Most users are not affected. And the problem
> came up very late in the test process.

None of which is an excuse for releasing something with this major of a bug.

> > This is going to bring the perceived quality level of FOSS down to
> > what the FUDders are screaming about.
>
> I think nobody is happy about it. But there are well known operating
> systems which had the same problem some times ago - probably by
> intention (in contrast to Red Hat).

Again, not an excuse for releasing something with this kind of problem

> There is no reason to specifically
> blame FOSS.

I am not "blaming" FOSS.  I am merely pointing out that this gives ammunition
(and well deserved) to the enemies of Open Source.  Actually, FOSS isn't the
problem here.  A stupid release schedule is... which has nothing to do with
FOSS; rather, obvious inept management of the Fedora project.

However, the Dark Side won't make that distinction.

> And the Fedora Project does not aim to the computer novize
> or windows user.

Doesn't it now...  That's so nice to hear... and how is Linux going to "take
over" the Desktop by 2005?  I see, you want it both ways...

> Those people, who may have a lot of trouble to recover
> from that fault, shouldn't use Fedora, but probably Red Hat Workstation
> or one of the other distros (Mandrake is a good choice).

Yeah, yeah...  That's a great way to fix a problem... just ignore it...

> > Is this the intention?
>
> As said before - no reason for so much excitement.

In other words, shut up and go back to Windows??  Spoken like a true zealot.