bittorrent limit download rate

newsletter newsletter at mastreno.com
Wed May 19 08:51:34 UTC 2004

Is there a way to limit the download rate with bittorrent?

When I start the torrent the download rate immediately jumps up to max out my
bandwidth.  With bittorrent running, web pages don't load and my email client
times out trying to download mail.  If I stop bittorrent, everything works
fine.  Unfortunately, my firewall/router doesn't support limiting bandwidth
by port.  I've tried setting the --max_upload_rate  to low numbers but it
doesn't seem to adjust the ratio.

I would cancel the download and just use ftp but I've been starting and
stopping this all day and have about 40% of the DVD iso downloaded.  I don't
really want to start over and figure I have another two days of stopping the
process when I need to get work done.

Thanks,
Ryan