bittorrent limit download rate

Chris Kloiber ckloiber at ckloiber.com
Wed May 19 11:35:54 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 16:51, newsletter wrote:
> Is there a way to limit the download rate with bittorrent?
>
> When I start the torrent the download rate immediately jumps up to max out my
> bandwidth.  With bittorrent running, web pages don't load and my email client
> times out trying to download mail.  If I stop bittorrent, everything works
> fine.  Unfortunately, my firewall/router doesn't support limiting bandwidth
> by port.  I've tried setting the --max_upload_rate  to low numbers but it
> doesn't seem to adjust the ratio.
>
> I would cancel the download and just use ftp but I've been starting and
> stopping this all day and have about 40% of the DVD iso downloaded.  I don't
> really want to start over and figure I have another two days of stopping the
> process when I need to get work done.
>
> Thanks,
> Ryan

ROFLMAO! Most people are complaining about bittorrent *not* maxing out
their bandwidth. Take a few hours 'unplugged' from the net, and your
download will finish (and leave bittorrent open for a day or more to let
others download from you). If you really want to slow things down, try
limiting your upload severely, bittorrent has a 'karma' like system, so
if you limit uploads, downloads should slow as well.

--
Chris Kloiber