Secure entry into remote systems

Adam Voigt adam at kotisprop.com
Wed May 19 12:54:28 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 00:59, Edward wrote:
> I've used ssh locally before, and that is really simple to set up, but
> because of the open hole I'll be creating my question is really: Should
> I be learning about setting up VPN tunnels into their systems instead?

I'd stick with ssh. However, if your really worried about having a port
open, I recently ran into a very cool program that actually only opens a
port when you know the correct sequence.

For example, if I wanted to ssh into your box I'd first have to probe
port 1009, 5123, 2213 (in that order) at which time that machine would
automatically add me to the approved list for ssh in the firewall.

It's like a combination lock. =)

Anyway, check it out at:

http://www.zeroflux.org/knock/

--