Xfce and FC2 (installs, but not fully functional?)

Nicu Buculei nicu at apsro.com
Wed May 19 13:51:04 UTC 2004

Gerry Tool wrote:
> Nicu Buculei wrote:
>
>> how am i supposed to install Xfce in FC2? (without installing everything)
[snip]
> I copied all the xfce*.rpm files from CD4 to a directory and did an rpm
> -Uvh *.rpm to install XFce.  It installed fine and it now appears in the
> session menu.
>
> However, when I run it, I get a message window that says:
> "Your window manager does not seem to support the new window manager
> hints as defined on http:/www.freedesktop.org.  Some XFce features may
> not work as intended."

this is because you have *not* copied all needed RPMs! you left out the
window manager xfwm4.rpm...
exactly this was my complaint: how am i supposed to know that xfwm4 is
the window manager for xfce?
is not a dependency, because xfce can work without it (if we can call
this "work") and yum will not automatically install it as dependency.

also note xffm.rpm - the file manager, probably xfsprogs (don't know if
is needed) and all libxfce*.rpm and xfdesktop.rpm

--
nicu