bittorrent limit download rate

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Wed May 19 15:17:43 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 03:51, newsletter wrote:
> Is there a way to limit the download rate with bittorrent?

In theory, it has some sort of limit rate command line options.

> When I start the torrent the download rate immediately jumps up to max out my
> bandwidth.  With bittorrent running, web pages don't load and my email client
> times out trying to download mail.

I'd guess you're on Cable or ADSL?  You're probably flooding the queue
on the modem.  Most modems can't maintain above about 75% of the max
upstream rate without degrading downstream performance.

What OS are you running?  If you're on Linux (e.g. Red Hat or Fedora)
you can use traffic control to limit your upstream.  You can change the
upstream rate on the fly to/from specific IPs and ports.

Install shapecfg:
# yum install shapecfg

Let's say you want to limit BitTorrent's upstream bandwidth to
256Kbits/sec on eth0.

Create a file named /etc/sysconfig/cbq/cbq-2560.bt containing this (I
set WEIGHT to RATE divided by 8):

DEVICE=eth0,100Mbit,10Mbit
RATE=256Kbit
WEIGHT=32Kbit
PRIO=5
RULE=:6881-6999,

Then run this (add it to /etc/rc.local to start it during init):
# /sbin/cbq compile
# /sbin/cbq start

For more info see /usr/share/doc/shapecfg/README.cbq

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/