SOLUTION OF: ssh working with dialup, not through router

M. Fioretti mfioretti at mclink.it
Wed May 19 16:20:46 UTC 2004

On Fri, May 14, 2004 16:18:01 PM +0200, Marco Fioretti (mfioretti at mclink.it) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I can ssh to a server to update its web pages if I connect via
> dialup / ppp0
>
> If I try the same thing connecting via etho to an ADSL router:
>
> I can ping the server
> I can browse its web pages
>
> but ssh times out after asking the password.

I called again D-Link italian help desk. Today they stopped me before
I could speak because "yes, we have succeeded to replicate the problem
here. And yes, it *is* a bug in the *router* firmware. We have already
signalled it to R&D, which will fix it in the next release of the
firmware..."

So, it is official: D-Link DSL-504T DOES NOT LET SSH THROUGH (**). DO
NOT BUY IT if you need such services now. Please ask to your local
D-Link office to have the FW fixed as soon as possible if you need it.

Thanks to everybody who was so kind to help me and suggest a lot of
tests. I have learned several useful things anyway, thanks to your
patience.

Ciao,
        Marco F.

(**) and, to the best of my knowledge, is the first from that brand to
have this problem. I bought it after asking to several local Linux
sysadmins who used previous models without problems.

--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

[WYSIWYG] Word processing may be an obsolete idea of the 1980s...no
longer a necessity in the age of the Web and email
		                   Michael Stutz, The Linux Cookbook