The future of Diskette bootstraps

Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 19 19:12:06 UTC 2004

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 04:05:54PM -0700, david wrote:
> At 02:55 PM 5/17/2004, you wrote:
> >david wrote:
> >
> >>One of my systems does not support CD-ROM boostrap.  FC1 provided a
> >>bootstrap diskette which solved the problem....
> I got several responses to this (you guys are great), but maybe I have to
> refine the problem space better.
>
> Dell Workstation 400 MT, which I use as my crash-and-burn test machine.

It might be interesting to see if a floppy from FC1 will boot just far
enough to permit FC2-CD#1 to load.

Grub on the floppy should be able to find additional bits on the CDROM
or net to boot with some hacking.   Perhaps inspect an older boot floppy then
slice and dice a copy to get there.

By chance is there a BIOS upgrade.  My old door stop box had a BIOS
upgrade available but the price was more than a new MB+CPU on sale. ;-)

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l