bittorrent dl - still slow, does it pick up?

billg billg at f-m.fm
Wed May 19 21:18:15 UTC 2004

I've never been especially impressed with torrent. It's never offered me
much improvement over ftp.

I pointed torrent at the Duke server this morning.  The download of all 4
iso's concluded about 30 minutes ago. That's approx. 8 hours of download
time (obviously, the projected download times reported by torrent are not
to be believed). Top speed was around 150 kb/s, but the rate varied a
lot, with frequent drops as low as 6 and 7 kb/s.  Upload speed seemed to
remain constant in the mid 20's.

I tried torrent yesterday, letting it run for a few hours before giving
up.  Speeds were always below 10 kb/s.

Dunno if it makes much difference to torrent, but I'm within shouting
distance of Duke and RedHat.  If they were handing out actual CD's, I
could have made 4 or 5 round trips while waiting for the download to
finish. :-)