Critical temperature reached, shutting down

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed May 19 22:24:42 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 19 May 2004 13:14, Mark Neidorff wrote:
>I got that.  Isn't the likely cause of the fan not starting
> accumulated dirt in the fan itself?  In other words, isn't it a
> hardware and not a software issue?

Speaking as a CET, it *should* be hardware.  Now if as a power saver
method, the maker has the fan on a thermostat so the cpu has to get
warm before it starts, then obviously there is a design flaw in the
heat flow path to that thermostat.  In any event, if the fan isn't
replaceable with a more or less std, readily obtainable fan, and it
doesn't coast freely when given a spin with a finger, then its time
to yell at the vendor. If it coasts with difficulty, but can be seen
to be notching, as in it has several fixed resting points it sort of
bounces into, this is normal for these types of brushless fan motors.
What I would suspect is that the lubricant in the fan may have dried
out, turning into a black gummy, parafine like mess, which has to get
hot before the motor has the moxie to spin it up.  Sometimes they can
be cleaned up and re-oiled with a drop of 5W-20 to run for another
month or so, but its a dead horse in the long run, so if thats the
case, get it replaced, its cheap insurance against a failed cpu.

The cpu is taking the correct action if it thinks its overheating
since even 1 second at a temp above its failure point will  be
exactly that, total, or near total failure.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)