Re: ..:: [ FC2 ] ::.. NON-CRITICAL config question.

At 09:12 5/19/2004, Mitch Wiedemann wrote:
John Courie II wrote:
How do I configure my system to have a custom name that shows up on the
prompt while still accepting and using the dynamic IP sent from comcast?

Try editing the following files:

/etc/sysconfig/network
/etc/hosts

As an additional note, /etc/hosts should *always* contain this line:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

What you can/should do is to either add another alias to that line (which I find kludgy and awkward), or add another line pointing to your machine's other name:

127.0.0.1          localhost.localdomain          localhost
127.0.0.1          spanky.redbutt.com          spanky

That should work like a charm. You *do* want another hostname. You do *not* want to erase localhost... too many things look for that name, so you should always keep it.

Cheers,

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz simpaticus com http://www.simpaticus.com