Disappearing Text in Up2Date, Other Utilities

billg billg at f-m.fm
Thu May 20 02:03:44 UTC 2004

I'm running up2date after a new FC2 installation and I'm noticing an
annoyance that I've seen on every version of RedHat/Fedora I've used for
several years:

When I launch, say, up2date, move to another desktop, and then return to
the original desktop to check on up2date, none of the app's display text
is visible.  On occassion, the text becomes visible again when the app,
apparently, refreshes the display. If the app does not eventually refresh
the display, I can't tell if it is still working or has crashed.

I see this on several RedHat/Fedora utilities, all of which, I believe,
are python scripts.  On my side, all the machines have used Matrox video
cards on a variety of monitors.

Do other Matrox users see this?