sshd config - WAS Secure entry into remote systems

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Thu May 20 12:01:44 UTC 2004

Edward wrote:
> OK, I need some more clarification here please. After reading all the
> suggestions, I'd like to set up shared key authentication.
>
> After reading mountains of stuff on the internet, I can't get this to work.
>
> The client is PuTty if that makes a difference.
>
> 1> Used PuTtygen.exe to create a key pair with a pass phrase.
> 2> saved both keys into a folder on the client PC.
> 3> Copied the PUBLIC key to $HOME/.ssh/authorized_keys on the ssh server
> (FC1 with all updates).
> 4> Modified sshd.conf to disallow text passwords, disallow root log ins,
> and to accept key pair authentication using challenge response.
> 5> Restarted sshd (ofcourse :) )
> 6> Started putty, loading up the private key from the local hard drive

Run pageant as step 5.5. It's part of the PuTTY suite, available from
the same place. It puts an icon of a PC wearing a black fedora in the
system tray, so you know it's running.

Pageant handles the public key authentication.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james@ | When the revolution comes, we'll need a longer wall.
westexe.demon.co.uk    | -- Tom De Mulder