how to erase DVD+RW on FC2

Janis K janis.vzp at latnet.lv
Thu May 20 14:05:45 UTC 2004

hello guys

what is the right way to erase the DVD+RW disk on Fedora Core 2?

I can write on my DVD+RW disk some files with k3b software, but how can I
erase my DVD+RW disk?

I have PHILIPS DVD+R/RW burner

the command "cdrecord -scanbus" shows this:

scsidev: 'ATA'
devname: 'ATA'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Using badly designed ATAPI via /dev/hd* interface.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version (schily -
Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.80-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c      1.80 04/03/08
Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').
scsibus1:
        1,0,0   100) 'PHILIPS ' 'DVDRW228        ' '1.29' Removable CD-ROM
        1,1,0   101) *
        1,2,0   102) *
        1,3,0   103) *
        1,4,0   104) *
        1,5,0   105) *
        1,6,0   106) *
        1,7,0   107) *

-------------------

and when i'm trying this: "dvdrecord dev=1,0,0 -v blank=fast" then I get
this:

[root at fc2 /]# dvdrecord dev=1,0,0 -v blank=fast
dvdrtools v0.1.4
Portions (c) 2002-2003 Ark Linux <bero at arklinux.org>
Based on:
Cdrecord 1.11a15 (i386-redhat-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg
Schilling
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: '1,0,0'
scsibus: 1 target: 0 lun: 0
dvdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/sg*'. Cannot open
SCSI driver.
dvdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are
root.

can you please help me where to find some info on how to erase my DVD+RW
disk?

thank you