FC2 x86-64: Asus K8V Deluxe

K. Spearel kas11 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu May 20 17:34:26 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 03:59, Douglas Sievers wrote:
> Hi Fedora fans,
>
> I am building a new system based on an AMD Athlon64 3400+ processor. I
> have an Asus K8V Deluxe mobo on order, but it has not been delivered.
> Has anyone had experience with this mobo on FC2?
>
> Also, those who know, what's a good video card for this system? I'm
> looking at an eVGA GeForce FX 5700LE, but there might be a voltage level
> issue with this mobo running it at 8x AGP mode.
>
> Lastly, is there a separate list for x86-64 issues?
>
> Please reply to me directly or cc if e-mailing the list. Thanks all!
>
> Doug Sievers
> dsievers at ucla.edu

I have a K8V/3200+ that has run FC2 since the first test release with no
problems other than having the network driver broken occasionally for
brief periods during the early test releases.  Test 3 ran from day 1
with no issues and FC2 is running fine here on PATA drives.  I wouldn't
use onboard RAID on a bet so I haven't bothered to test that.  I have
used a serial drive on it just long enough to confirm that it did work
but I didn't try booting on it.

I do recommend that you be careful about the memory you buy.  My system
didn't run reliably at the rated 200 mhz FSB with 2 512mb 3:4:4:8
Samsung DIMMs as shown on the Asus approved list installed...and none of
the versions of their BIOS I've tried seem to be capable of reading the
DIMM's SPD properly so manual setup may be necessary.  I am running an
ATI 9000 so I can't speak to possible nVidia AGP problems.  Other than
that, the hardware has run fine here.

HTH,
KAS