Fedora Core 2 weird Xkb & mouse problem

Rami Saarinen rs55862 at yahoo.com
Thu May 20 18:23:47 UTC 2004

--- Ondrej Zlosky <lists_zlosyn at centrum.cz> wrote:
> On Thursday 20 May 2004 00:32, Rami Saarinen wrote:
> > I just updated from FC 1 to FC 2. Everything else seems to be pretty
> much
> > ok, but I have hard time getting the keyboard and mouse to work ok in
> X11.
> >

> > I have a Logitech MouseMan USB wheelmouse and I used to use it in PS/2
> > with an adapter. However once I updated to FC2 the mouse stopped
> working
> > and I changed it back to "Generic USB wheelmouse" (after taking off
> the
> > adapter and plugging the mouse in USB). Now the mouse works ... in a
> way.
> > It moves ok, wheel is ok, most of the buttons do what they are
> supposed to
> > do *but* the left mouse button is acting weird: it can be used to
> select
> > things from the panel (KDE) otherwise, for example when clicking
> inside a
> > window, it will drag that window. In most cases (with some difficulty
> in
> > Mozilla with links) I can bypass it pressing down the (left, at least)
> > shift and the clicking inside window. Not a good solution I think.
> >
> > The keyboard is ah-so-normal Key Tronic board with 105 keys. It has
> worked
> > fine before.
> >
> > If I switch on Gnome, I get an error
> >
> > "Error activating XKB configuration.
> > Probably internal X server problem.
> >
> > X server version data:
> > The X.Org Foundation
> > 60700000
> >
> > If you report this situation as a bug, please include:
> > - The result of xprop -root | grep XKB
> > - The result of gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/xkb
> >
> > "
> >
> > xprop stuff says:
> > _XKB_RULES_NAMES_BACKUP(STRING) = "xfree86", "pc102", "fi", "", ""
> > _XKB_RULES_NAMES(STRING) = "xfree86", "pc102", "fi", "", ""
> >
> > and gconftool-2 says:
> > layouts = [fi]
> >  model = pc105
> >  overrideSettings = false
> >  options = []
> >
> > Note that I have fooled around trying different layouts, hence the
> pc102
> > above.. I does not help. But what does help is to turn on the
> >
> >   Option  "XkbDisable"
> >
> > but then I'll lack some functionality I have become used to and as
> such it
> > can't be a solution.
> >

> > XFConfig InputDevice stuff looks like:
> > Section "InputDevice"
> >         Identifier  "Keyboard0"
> >         Driver      "keyboard"
> >         Option      "XkbRules" "xfree86"
> >         Option      "XkbModel" "pc102"
> >         Option      "XkbLayout" "fi"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Any ideas? I am pretty much in a dead-end by myself so any kind of
> > pointers  are appreciated!
>
> I had similar problem with keyboard. It is discussed on web forums. You
> [...]

Sorry for a long quote. I tried to change XkbRules to xorg, now the error
in Gnome is gone, which is very nice. However the problem still persists
in KDE, meaning that the left mouse button will move windows instead of
acting normal. I even tried to remove the whole XkbRules line, but it did
not help. Any ideas? I'd really like to get back to using KDE (altough
Gnome surely looks quite nice).

I also did the ln xorg.lst xfree86.lst stuff adviced in the kxkb message
thread, but to no avail.

I think that doing a clean install of FC 2 is the The-Other-OS way. I have
been very pleased on ability to fix almost any kind of problem on my box
(including several cases of deleted kernel ;) ) without a need of
re-install of whole distribution. So I'll delay the re-install as long as
possible. :)

Thanks for the help so far, it has helped me to get this at least
partially working.

--
Rami Saarinen