[FC2] Unable to shut down prism54 card's interface

Philip A. Chapman pchapman at pcsw.us
Thu May 20 18:30:46 UTC 2004

Everyone,

I have a generic min-pci card in my laptop that uses the prism54
module.  The interface is set up as eth1.  I have eth1 set up so that it
does not start on boot.  I can start the interface using:

   ifup eth1

with no issues.  However, when I try to deactivate the interface using:

   ifdown eth1

I get the following error:

   Device eth1 has different MAC address than expected, ignoring.

It also happens when I shut down the laptop and the kill scripts try to
bring the interface down.  Here is the relevant info from lspci -v -n:

   00:0a.0 Network controller: Intersil Corporation Intersil ISL3890
[Prism GT/Prism Duette] (rev 01)
           Subsystem: Unknown device 17cf:0015
           Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
           Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1

If anyone could shine some light on the issue, I'd appreciate it.

Also,  I'm rather disappointed by this card's reception.  I have a
U.S.Robotics wireless turbo pcmcia card which does much better (at least
in Windows XP, the pcmcia card does better and the built in card is
crappy under both OSs), but pcmcia does not appear to be supported on my
laptop.  At least I cannot see the card when I do a

   cardctl config

If anyone has suggestions of what brand/model of mini-pci 802.llb/g card
is supported under Linux and has good reception please let me know
(off-list is fine).

Thanks!
--
Philip A. Chapman

Application Development:
Java, Visual Basic (MCP), PostgreSQL, MySQL, MSSQL
Linux, Windows 9x, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP