Thoughts and Questions On Yum, Up2Date. Etc.

Jonathan Gardner jgardner at jonathangardner.net
Thu May 20 18:21:42 UTC 2004

On Thursday 20 May 2004 11:22 am, billg wrote:
> I used up2date immediately after FC2 installtion yesterday with no
> problems or delays.  Five packages were installed.
>
> Earlier today, I attempted to install a single package using yum:  yum
> install <packagename>.
>
> Yum was very, very slow. If I didn't know better, as a new user might
> not, I would've assumed that it had crashed. Yum also began to downoad
> headers for several packages other than the paclage I had requested.  I
> terminated yum before it completed.

Yum takes its sweet time downloading all new headers. I would rather have a
backend cron running every night or so that gets the headers, and have yum
the app default to not downloading headers, with an option to download the
headers if needed.

> Two questions, then:
>
> 1)  Is yum's unresponsiveness due to mirror load? If so, why wasn't
> up2date slow?  Just dumb luck?  Do they not look at the same
> repositories?

The first time you use Yum, it has to get a lot of data.

--
Jonathan Gardner
jgardner at jonathangardner.net