Thoughts and Questions On Yum, Up2Date. Etc.

Christian Birkl wingman at techmonkeys.org
Thu May 20 18:51:09 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 20:22, billg wrote:

> Yum was very, very slow. If I didn't know better, as a new user might
> not, I would've assumed that it had crashed. Yum also began to downoad
> headers for several packages other than the paclage I had requested.  I
> terminated yum before it completed.

I've experienced the same issues, even when using a local mirror of FC2
from fedora.download.com and using the file:// method with yum. It takes
a few minutes just to install a single package.

I also tried up2date, but the best tool imho is apt-get together with
synaptic, decent performance combined with a nice command line tool -
and it just worked (tm).

BTW, system-config-packages has a bug in an not yet official documented
feature when using /etc/system-config-packages.method file and
specifying a TREE= method. The linebreak after TREE=<dir>\n is included
in the python tree variable and thus making system-config-packages not
work with local copies of the FC cds (a .trim() in config.py solves this
problem btw...).

Greets,

	Christian