Kernel 2.6 and the Epia M 10000 Motherboard

David Woakes david at mitredata.co.uk
Thu May 20 19:58:38 UTC 2004

I did some extensive testing using kernel-2.6.5-1.358.

The i586 compiled rpm version of this kernel causes immediate reboots
after the kernel is booted with no errors or other output.

I installed the source for this kernel and used the config file for the
installed kernel-2.6.5-1.358.  I started sticking for (;;) at various
places in init/main.c.  After moving it down a few times without getting
to a point where the machine rebooted instantly, I got bold and built
the kernel without any deliberate hang statements.

I was very suprised to find the kernel booted and proceeded normally to
the message Freeing Init Memory...., and then hung.  (I have experienced
the same problem with an Epia M 6000 motherboard with the 2.4 kernel,
though the 10000 motherboard is OK with the same Kernel).

 From this I would infer that the rpm version of the Kernel was probably
built with a different compiler (I'm using gcc version 3.3.2 20031022
(Red Hat Linux 3.3.2-1)).

I put traces after the Free memory routine and have established the hang
happens when run_init_process calls execve to start init.  I tried
substituting my own init script which consisted of the following:

#!/bin/bash

echo Hello World
sleep 10000

This did not cause Hello World to be output on the console (or am I
being silly).

I wrote a short c program to do the same thing with the same result (nada).

So two problems, compiler (?) issue with 2.6 kernel and execve appears
not to kick off the application passed.

David Woakes
--
t 0131 447 0509