XFree86 gone from Fedora Core? WHY!?

Doug Stewart dstewart at atl.lmco.com
Fri May 21 01:49:11 UTC 2004

William M. Quarles wrote:

> Who made the not-very-bright decision of choosing X.org over XFree86
> for Fedora Core 2, and WHY?
>
> I also LOVE (sorry, I was sarcastic, DESPISE) this item in the Release
> Notes for FC 2:
> "This release is a merger of the previous official X11R6 release,
> XFree86 4.4.0rc2, and additionally includes a number of updates"
> 1. XFree86 4.4.0rc2 was not a release (hence the rc, "release candidate")
> 2. It's not like XFree86 4.4 didn't come out.
> 3. What is that made XFree86 no longer official?  Because some
> corporate bubbleheads decided to get together, swipe another
> organizations code and pose it as their own?  Please.
>
> I thought Fedora Core was going to be less corporate and more open now
> that Red Hat is no longer making Red Hat Linux.  Apparently that isn't
> the case.  If things keep going this way, I'm going to find another
> distribution.  I certainly am not going to "upgrade to Fedora Core 2."
> Good luck to all of you braving the frontiers of the 2.6 kernel, too.
>
> Peace,
> William

Errrrm, search the archives of this list for a full explanation, but the
long and the short of it was that the XFree group changed their license
in such a fashion as to make it impossible to include in Fedora and
still have it remain true to its stated principles.

It's a good thing, IMNSHO.

-Doug Stewart