Oracle 8.1.7 on Fedora Core 2 aka tettnang

Ken Rice krice at ServersAndSolutions.com
Fri May 21 04:55:32 UTC 2004

Is it possible to install this release of Oracle on FC2? (9i or later isn't possible)

This is not for a Production Server, but for some quick testing.

I realize there is an issue with glibc:

[QUOTE]
Patch Description
-----------------
Oracle8i for Linux is shipped with archived objects which were compiled using
  glibc-2.1.3. The executable components are then linked at install-time using
  these archives. Due to compatibility limitations in glibc, if the target
  system for an installation is based on a later version of glibc, then the
  executables produced by the linker will not be valid. As a workaround to
  this limitation, we have created a set of stub libraries which are used at
  link-time only to mimic the contents of glibc-2.1.3 shared objects. Note
  that these stub libraries do not contain valid executable code, and therefore
  *must NOT* be included in the library path searched by the dynamic loader
  (i.e., do not include $ORACLE_HOME/lib/stubs in LD_LIBRARY_PATH
[/QUOTE]

Should I instead go back to say RedHat 9?

I can not obtain RHES or it's siblings for this test.

Thank you!

Ken Rice
TLC