FC2 BitTorrent URL's

Jack Bowling jbinpg at shaw.ca
Fri May 21 05:41:27 UTC 2004

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 02:21:12PM +1000, Scott Burns wrote:
> Paul D. Brown wrote:
>
> >Quoting from the bittorrent FAQ at http://btfaq.com/serve/cache/25.html
> >(no doubt elsewhere as well):
> >Prior to version 3.2, BitTorrent by default uses ports in the range of
> >6881-6889. As of 3.2 and later, the range has been extended to
> >6881-6999. (These are all TCP ports, BitTorrent does not use UDP.) The
> >client starts with the lowest port in the range and sequentially tries
> >higher ports until it can find one to which it can bind. This means that
> >the first client you open will bind to 6881, the next to 6882, etc.
> >Therefore, you only really need to open as many ports as simultaneous
> >BitTorrent clients you would ever have open. For most people it's
> >sufficient to open 6881-6889.
> >
> >Paul
> >

> Let's see if I understand: I download one file by bt, and other people
> can connect to 6881 on my machine to download from me.  I start a second
> simultaneous bt download of another file.  Others can now connect to me
> on port 6882 to download the second file from me?
>
> This strikes me as slightly loopy given http seems to be able to serve
> many files using just one open port...

Scott - As an exercise in how quickly BitTorrent works its magic, start up
a BT download and then fire up iptstate (comes as part of FC2 Golden...not
sure about FC2T3 and earlier). Becoming part of the swarm is virtually
instantaneous. You will also see that the connections are persistent.

--
Jack Bowling
mailto: jbinpg at shaw.ca