IMAP Version

Will Backman whb at ceimaine.org
Fri May 21 13:36:01 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 19:26, William Hooper wrote:
> Aaron Gaudio said:
>
> >> If you look at the release notes for FC2, you will see it comes with two
> >> imap servers - dovecot and cyrus-imapd
> >>

> > Since I didn't need the functionality of cyrus-imapd, I built imapd-2002d
> > against FC2 just fine, based on existing RPMs. I can provide my SRPM
> > privately if requested.
>
> Any reason to prefer it over dovecot?
>
> --
> William Hooper

uw-imap is well known, there is a lot of documentation on it, including
the managing IMAP book, it supports shared folders and some nice mail
administrator modes.  For those of us that took the advice of the
uw-imap folks, we moved from Unix mbox format to mbx format to speed
things up and allow for concurrent access.

Also, when you look at a lot of companion software, you see uw-imap
listed as tested, but there is no mention of dovecot.  Makes admins
scared.

I hope this will change.  Inclusion of dovecot in Fedora will hopefully
increase the amount of testing and programming help that it gets.  There
are some scary issues listed on the web site for dovecot, but I hope
those will be resolved with the 1.0 release.