Fedora Core2 -> Enterprise

Paul Chauvet chauvetp at newpaltz.edu
Fri May 21 14:39:07 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 10:23, Jack Howarth wrote:
>     Is there a rough date yet for the next Enterprise Linux
> release based off of Fedora Core2? I am setting up a new
> computational workstation soon and would really like to
> start off with a Linux 2.6 based release but am afraid
> installing Fedora Core 2 and then trying to upgrade to
> the next RedHat Enterprise Linux over that will be a rather
> messy proposition.
>             Jack

If you are looking for features from the 2.6 kernel, and still want to
use RH Enterprise 3.0, then go for it.  I have two servers that are
running RH EL 3.0 and the 2.6 kernel with no problems whatsoever.

I use the kernel rpms from http://people.redhat.com/arjanv

How well that will work for picky applications like Oracle or
Blackboard, I'm not sure though.

Paul Chauvet
UNIX & Linux Systems Administrator
State University of New York at New Paltz