Fedora Core 2 - review.

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri May 21 19:52:31 UTC 2004

Bill Rugolsky Jr. wrote:
> On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 12:01:10PM -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
>
>>I still feel that this issue needs to be on the desktop of new
>>installs for new users.  This could be included in my suggestion of a
>>MM icon install on the desktop.  Like the license agreements that most
>>people don't even look at.  Let them know that they accept the legal
>>responsibilities of installing the mp3 plugins, DeCSS etc.
>

> I am so sick of reading nonsense reviews that suggest that Fedora Core
> is "crippled" because it doesn't include multimedia software with
> licensing problems.
>
> In FC3, perhaps we can replace the FC2 "Thank you" in the installer
> with a nice long rant regarding software freedom, licensing, and the
> evils of software patents and crap like the DMCA?
>
> The same rant should be linked from the Release Notes.
>
> Hmm, maybe I should Bugzilla an RFE ...
>
> And as I've said before, a level of indirection solve the problem --
> point users to Fedora Tracker, and let them search for what they need.
> But first they should understand the licensing issues.
>
> Regards,
>
> 	Bill Rugolsky

I do agree that Fedora core isn't crippled in that the necessary
software is easily accessible off of the net.  The problem is for many
that they don't know how to do this or what to look for.  As many
Linux advocates would like Linux to replace Windows (I would) and many
on this list would like the version of Linux to be Fedora, not SUSE or
Mandrake.

Why not come up with an idea that will point those coming from the
Windows domain on how easy it is to install software and upgrade from
the start.  At least this would not conflict with the issue of licenses.

I would love to get my in laws onto Linux and I love how easy it is to
use Fedora.  I don't mind search the net or even compiling my own src
code.  I cannot expect my mother-in-law to do this.  She has a hard
enough time updating her anti-virus in Windows.

Now in regards to fedoratracker.org.  I did a search and there are no
packages that will play mp3's or DVD's if I search the description for
DVD/dvd or MP3/mp3. Not much help to the issue of helping that person
at home that doesn't know plugins from upgrades.  Now this is an issue
with the search engine but it illustrates what I am trying to say.  I
know that mplayer, xine, xmms plugins are listed but are not found
with a simple search.

My original suggestion of supplying a link or script to help people
could point to fedoratracker with a description on how to search for
the necessary applications.

--
Robin Laing