FC1 -> FC2 via yum

david david at daku.org
Fri May 21 20:55:45 UTC 2004

At 07:49 AM 5/21/2004, you wrote:
>Am Fr, den 21.05.2004 schrieb Gary Stainburn um 16:27:
>
> > I seem to remember reading on this list about being able to upgrade a
> headless
> > box from FC1 to FC2 using yum.  However, I can't seem to find the post in
> > question.
> >
> > Could people give me their opinion on using this setup, as well as any
> > instructions on how to do it.
>
> > Gary Stainburn
>
>The one who successfully did a yum dist upgrade just made a yum.conf
>which points to the FC2 repositories and the did run "yum -c
>fc2-yum.conf upgrade". Maybe it is a good suggestion to stop services,
>you do not need while processing, before you upgrade, to avoid some
>circumstances.
>
>Alexander

Gary

I tried the method Alexander alludes to, but encountered errors which I
reported about in an email, summarized as follows:

(background:  Only floppy boot works)

When the update was complete, and I rebooted:

  1)  Grub was still not defaulting to FC2, but this was easy to fix.
  2)  All kinds of libraries were reported as failing or missing, but these
were all related to the graphical interface.  Since I operate it as a
server in command line mode only, a
   yum remove
set of commands seem to have resolved that issue.

3)  Every time I boot and every time I log in as root, I see the messages

KDSKBENT: Invalid Argument
failed to bind key 255 to value 659

Furthermore, when I perform
  yum update
I get the message:

   conflict between libc-client and imap

So, I decided to abandon the attempt to try out FC2 for now until either:
  - this mailing list gives me some insight I don't currently have
  - I get so frustrated that I go out and buy a more powerful computer that
can boot cdrom.

David