REOPENED: Mozilla from mozilla.org crashes X

Hannes Mayer fedora at ancientcoins.biz
Fri May 21 22:05:50 UTC 2004

Hannes Mayer wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> On FC2test3 I installed Mozilla 1.7RC1 (binaries from mozilla.org)
> and it crashed on a certain google SERP.
> I then built the 1.7RC1 myself and it worked -> no X crashes anymore.
>
> I thought this problem was fixed in Mozilla, but now on FC2release
> and Moz1.7RC2 (binaries from mozilla.org) the problem is still there.
>
> I googled again and found that this might be caused by *missing fonts*
> Some folks have created symlinks to other fonts, but there are no
> *.tff files to make symlinks in FC2release.
>
> So building it myself back then (with xft) has fixed the problem with
> the fonts.

I was able to nail down the problem a bit:

If I use an XFT enabled Moz, characters like shown in the image here
http://www.cosmicrays.org/character.png
are displayed correctly, but those are the reason for crashing X with
official builds of Moz (without XFT).
On Windoze such characters are just "?" or tiny, empty rectangles.

Now I'm really clueless. What can be done to solve this ?
As far as I know such signs are unrecognized unicode characters, right ?

Thanks a lot,
Hannes.