Raw devices problem

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at Weiss.name
Fri May 21 22:22:08 UTC 2004

On Thu, 20 May 2004, Wolfgang Gill wrote:

> On Thu, 20 May 2004 00:56:48 +0000, Dan Haines wrote
> > Since posting this, I have found a command called: testlibraw
> >
> > When I ran this, I get a response of:
> >
> > couldn't get handle: No such device or address
> > This probably means that you don't have raw1394 support in the
> > kernel or that you haven't loaded the raw1394 module.
> >
> > I then searched the net looking for similar problems, and came across
> > this:
> >
> > http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread/t-1700.html
> >
> > I will give recompiling the kernel a go, and report back with my
> > findings.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Dan
> >
> > On Thu, 20 May 2004 00:36:03 +0000
> > Dan Haines <dan.haines at metservice.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all.
> > >
> > > Since upgrading to the 2.6 kernel, I am having the exact same problem
> > > as this guy, word for word.  I have pasted the url, as there are
> > > suggestions in the thread which have been tried by the user, and
> > > myself, to no avail.  If anyone has any ideas, or information, please
> > > post here!
> > >
> > > http://www.webservertalk.com/message199531.html
> > >

> > > Cheers,
> > > Dan
> <snip>
>
> I had that problem too. (I have a digital camcorder that needs to use this
> driver) The raw1394 module doen't install by default (for some reason). So I
> simply added it to my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file by inserting a 'modprobe
> raw1394'. Now when I reboot the system it loads automatically.

Well, I installed FC2, and when I try the modprobe it says that it can't
find it.  I tried "yum install raw1394" and *that* doesn't work either.

Wow, I'd hoped that FC2 would support my digital camcorder *better* than
FC1.  Instead, it doesn't support it at all.

Crap.

Any idea when the kernel will support firewire?  I'm just *dreaming* of
the day I can toss Win2K.

Ben