Any way to debug browser issues?

Hello Folks;
This is related to the previous thread, but I am not getting any assistance; so I was curious if any of you had an idea for actually debugging mozilla - a trace or some mode to tell me what it is doing other than th sign in the bottom that goes:

Resolving host www.google.com....
Connecting to www.google.com...

The connecting part is where it hangs; interestingly if I have an IP it does not hang... I just dont know where to start with the logs...

-Lane
begin:vcard
fn:Lane Inman
n:Inman;Lane
org:Portland State University;Systems Science - ETM
email;internet:lanei etm pdx edu
title:Ph. D. Candidate
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1