Fedora Core 2 - review.

Jeff Ratliff jefrat at earthlink.net
Sat May 22 00:16:36 UTC 2004

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 11:15:45AM -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
> As Fedora does not include multimedia tools that people are used to in
> Windows, it could be a problem.  Licensing issues aside, new users
> coming from the Windows world will be quickly frustrated due to this.
>
> A simple method to upgrade to a full multimedia package needs to be
> looked at.  Even in business, multimedia is now required to view
> various advertising or product information packages.  This must not be
> via searches and multiple WWW sites but a single site with possibly a
> single click.  A WWW link on the desktop to an offshore (outside US if
> required) to a setup/install script for multimedia access.
>
> It should be as easy as "yum install multimedia".

How about the "Fedora Multimedia Installation HOWTO" on tldp.org?

<http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Fedora-Multimedia-Installation-HOWTO/>

I admit it's not a one click solution, but it does a lot more than
just MP3s, and DVDs. It also explains a lot of the underlying
issues as to why this software isn't included in the OS. I'm pretty
sure not everything will work with FC2, but I think the general
idea is good.

I agree it should be easier, but I'm also a bit annoyed with people
who think everything should work like Windows right out of the box.
Why not just use Mandrake?   =)